Saturday, January 3, 2015

Twitter's Troubling Trending Topics




I love Twitter. I follow a plethora of news sources, writers, politicians, celebrities, comedians, friends, and like-minded individuals. I think of Twitter as an incredibly useful tool. Breaking news often surfaces on Twitter before many major news sources, who might be waiting for the full story, start reporting on it. People worldwide are able to express their thoughts and opinions on anything they feel passionately about. When something important happens, people talk about it. When enough tweets about a topic begin to appear, they sometimes become trending topics on the website. If you check out the trends in specific areas, you can find out what people all over the world are talking about. You will usually find news stories and current events among the trending topics. Sometimes, the topics of conversation are important and engaging. Often times there are countless tweets commemorating someone who has recently passed away. Every now and then, however, you will find topics that are disturbing and cruel.

I was shocked by what was trending on Twitter this morning. Trending topics included "If I Had A Gun" and "#FatPeoplePasswords." I don't think I need to go intowhy these topics are unsettling and distasteful. That should be obvious. What I find so disheartening is that these were the top two trends in the United States. Out of everything that is newsworthy, this is what people are choosing to talk about. I was happy to see that "Happy Teacher Appreciation Week" and "Mother's Day" were trending, although they only appeared briefly toward the bottom of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment